šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 week ago by Paul.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

My dog is sick with what is likely to be Cushing’s Disease, which is when a tumor grows against the pituitary gland, sending a signal to the adrenals to produce excess cortisol, a stress hormone, which causes a host of health issues over time. The first symptoms I noticed were increased thirst, urination, and hunger; she lost control of her bladder a couple times, and drinks and pees all day. I’ve been in and out of the vet since July and have spent over $2500 and still don’t have a firm diagnosis. I said from day one I suspected Cushing’s and the first vet told me “no way” because her bloodwork was normal. Well, sure enough after expensive blood, urine, and ultrasound testing, now they want to test for Cushing’s – another $500. The ultrasound showed her adrenals and liver were enlarged.

I’m a supplement fanatic and I take a lot for my own health and wellbeing. Now I want to put that knowledge to use with my dog, but have a few questions. If anyone here happens to have ANY insight (even if it’s only answering one of my questions), I’d greatly appreciate it.

1) I want to give her black seed oil. I know it can cause death in cancer cells and I think I read about it reducing tumors. I read the standard dose for a dog her size is a half teaspoon, but I would imagine it might vary depending on the thymoquinone content? Most black seed oils have low content. If I give her a black seed oil with 4-6% thymoquinone, should I adjust that at all, or will she benefit from higher concentrations of the compound? Would i be better off ordering a black seed oil that has 1-2% thymoquinone? I currently take a blend that is 10%, which is unusually high, but the averages tend to be 1-3%.

2) For turmeric curcumin… I read this actually helps to minimize / block the compound the brain releases that sends the signal to the adrenals to produce excess cortisol. do I need to buy a specific pet formula or could i literally open one of my human grade capsules and sprinkle it into her food? Is there any particular reason why I would need to give a pet formula or do they just sell it this way as a way to make extra money from people?

3) Same question for fish oil… I take a triple strength high EPA/DHA fish oil by a brand called Viva Naturals. One capsule contains 1250mg fish oil and of that, 1125 is omega 3’s (EPA/DHA). If I opened one capsule and poured it over her kibble, would that be OK, or should I be buying a pet-specific formulation? I’m already spending a fortune each month on my own supps, so wherever I’m able to “share” my supps with her, it would just be easier. I just purchased her Nordic Naturals Pet Formula but curious if I could just dissolve one of my capsules into her food.

4) I want to give her ashwagandha to help with the excess cortisol. This is an herb that lowers cortisol, and many humans use it to manage stress and anxiety. Again, same question as above — can I just give her one of my capsules I take or should I be looking for a special pet formula? I tried searching for a standalone ashwaganda formula for dogs and was unable to find one — it’s sold in a lot of immune blends, but I would rather have all the ingredients individually so I can precisely control dosages.

5) I’m giving her a pet specific formulation of broccoli sprout extract/sulforaphane called Avmaquin. No questions here really, other than to mention I’m providing it because I’ve read sulforaphane is anti-tumor and anti-cancer. So far, this and a pet-specific CBD formula by Lazarus Naturals are the only things I am giving her. I figured CBD might help with cortisol and inflammation.

I’m currently looking at the above mentioned supps (ashwagandha, turmeric, fish oil, black seed oil, sulforaphane, CBD) as well as COQ10 (ordered a pet formula, but again wondering if I can give her my human grade formula) and milk thistle.

Is there anything else you would recommend I look into for helping her? Any general advice or recommendations or things to consider here?

#220306 Report Abuse
    Paul
    Participant

I should mention that I did try asking my vet about these and was basically told she wasn’t knowledgable on supplements.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.