šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    RosiePops Mom
    Participant

I adopted a 4.5 year old Havapoo in mid-Feb of this year. Within three weeks, I had spent about $3k in medical bills and surgery for struvite stones. She has extreme anxiety and the vet says she has PTSD from living in a bad situation previously, and from the severe pain the untreated, very large stones that were lodged in the walls of her bladder caused. She has been on RC Urinary SO + Hydrolyzed Protein Formula because she has a very sensitive tummy since surgery. Now that she’s feeling better she has started Prozac and the occasional xanax for her anxiety/fear. She is really coming out of her shell. She’s funny, smart and learning how to play. She loves games and learning tricks. I am looking for a reward/training treat I can give her. The vet suggested using pieces of her normal food but she’s not an enthusiastic eater so that won’t work. While visiting my son recently, she tried these natural treats made by Jiminy’s (made with crickets), and was crazy for them. I’ve tried researching the ingredients butt there is so much conflicting information that I’m not sure what to trust. Could I get some opinions, please?

The flavor she tried and loved was Pumpkin & Carrot, but I’m wondering if the PB & Cranberry might be healthier?

Dog Treats: Dog Biscuits, Training treats & Snacks

#220281 Report Abuse
    nathaniel reid
    Participant

It’s wonderful to hear that your Havapoo is starting to thrive after such a tough start. Given her medical history and sensitive stomach, it’s important to be cautious when introducing new treats. Jiminy’s treats are a good option since they use sustainable ingredients like crickets, which are high in protein and easy on the digestive system. The Pumpkin & Carrot flavor she already enjoys is a great choice because pumpkin is known for its digestive benefits, while carrots are a low-calorie, healthy treat.

Regarding the PB & Cranberry flavor, it’s also a good option. Peanut butter (PB) is a common dog treat ingredient, but ensure it’s free from xylitol, an artificial sweetener toxic to dogs. Cranberries are a good source of vitamins and antioxidants, and they may support urinary health, which is crucial given her history of struvite stones.

However, because of her sensitive stomach, you might want to introduce any new flavor gradually and monitor her reaction. If she enjoys the Pumpkin & Carrot flavor and it agrees with her system, sticking with it might be the safest choice.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.