Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Recent Topics

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Prism E
    Participant

Long Time Member, First Time Poster:

I’ve been feeding my Coonhound mix, Rex, 13, The Farmers Dog. Great food. He loved it and actually cleaned the bowl each time.

Well, we recently had a mass in his mouth come back, and after discussions with the Vet, we decided to do a partial Mandibulectomy. And thanks to the The Farmers Dog being a great soft food, we was able to maintain eating. Oh, and there was no cancers found at the incision point, Clean Margins is the term, so the Vet had removed enough.

He is doing very well after about 2 months since the surgery. Figuring out how to eat (it’s still a mess, lol), how to pickup treats off the ground (wood floors are difficult, but carpet easy)

Lately, past 2 weeks or so, he hasn’t shown much interest in eating the food. Oh, he’s hungry, and if I hand feed him a bit, he realizes it too and eats. I am wondering if he is getting fed up with how long it takes since he has to lick it up, or if his tongue is getting fatigued. I honestly don’t think it is pain related based on every thing else I see him do. But anythings a possibility.

I have changed from his Rtic Dog food bowl (8″ diameter, about 4″ deep) to shallower bowls (about 10″ diameter and only 1-1.5″ deep). My thinking is that it would help him access the food. It seemed to help a bit.

My current thoughts are would it be easier for Rex to eat Dry food as he might be able to manipulate it easier than the wet?

So, I am looking for Dry Food suggestions I can research. A short list to get me on the right track would be great.

Thanks a bunch everyone

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics